Friday, April 8, 2011

Shine

Title: Shine Author: Lauren Myracle Publisher: Amulet books ISBN: 978-0-8109-8417-2 Available: April 2011 Price: 16.95 Age: 14 and up Source: Starbook Tours Synopsis: When her best guy friend falls victim to a vicious hate crime, sixteen-year-old Cat sets out to discover who in her small town did it. Richly atmospheric, this daring mystery mines the secrets of a tightly knit Southern community and examines the strength of will it takes to go against everyone you know in the name of justice.

Against a backdrop of poverty, clannishness, drugs, and intolerance, Myracle has crafted a harrowing coming-of-age tale couched in a deeply intelligent mystery. Smart, fearless, and compassionate, this is an unforgettable work from a beloved author.


- barns and noble


Review:


I got this book and I read the inside cover and thought this would be a good book. I loved the theme of it, which is that a young gay student gets beaten and his friend is trying to figure out who did it. I thought this would be a great book. Well, my thoughts were way off. It was a major slow read. I couldn't even finish the book. I have read other books by Lauren Myracle, who is the author, and i can truly say this was my least favorite of hers.


I always make myself read the first 100 pages and with this book is was a difficult thing to do. I would give it only 2 stars out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment